Friday, April 27, 2007

I can't let the passing of Alan Ball go without comment.

Granted, he was a World Cup winner before I was born, but I remember his later playing days from when I first got interested in football.

Here was a guy who wore his heart on his sleeve and played the game with dignity. His bearing on the pitch was something that a lot of today's self-absorbed players could learn from. You didn't see Alan Ball go down under the slightest challenge or dive over an opponent's leg to win a penalty in the box.

It's a shame that his managerial career never reached the heights of his playing career, but Alan Ball always displayed his passion for the game, and I hope that this weekend sees people paying tribute to the man in a proper way.

Alan Ball 1945 - 2007. RIP.

No comments: