Thursday, May 10, 2007

So I sat and watched the game last night on Sky. I knew that it was going to be a fairly bland game, and I was right. There were no starters for United last night who would be first choice if every one was fit.

In fairness to the team though, it was a steady performance. The only disappointment was Dong Fangzhou, our Chinese striker who seemed to be off the pace for the entire time he was on the pitch. He was replaced by Wayne Rooney with about 20 minutes to go. I know he's been in Antwerp for the last 3 years, but for me, the jury is still out. He didn't seem to add anything to the game.

Kieran Lee and Chris Eagles both looked good on the right hand side. Kuszczak had a good performance in goal, and looks like he might push Ben Foster for the number 1 keepers role when Van der Sar leaves the club. Smith and Fletcher worked hard in midfield and Richardson seemed to enjoy his creative role.

I really hope that Heinze doesn't leave the club in the summer. He doesn't have the pace that he had before his knee injury, but he can still do a job on the left hand side, and I think he will give us depth at centre back as well. He is certainly a better defender than Silvestre.

Anyway, just one game to go, against West Ham, on Sunday. For what happened in 1995, I hope we stuff them and Wigan beat Sheffield United. That way, West Ham will be down in the Championship.

No comments: